Maintenance-Provided Housing in Johnson County, Kansas
Third Quarter 2019 Report
- Maintenance-free homes are in short supply because Kansas City is not a retirement magnet. Therefore, not enough were built or are being built.
- There are very few over-50 communities or gated ones.
- New construction is ongoing, and 90 villas/patio homes are being built, with an average price of $441,875. Eight condos are being built, including 4 in Prairie Village over a million dollars. Townhomes are still being built; the median list price is $295,000—not exactly entry-level pricing.
- The criteria for Condos and Townhomes are not defined, so you might see homes in the same subdivision listed as a condo or as a townhome.
- Heartland Multiple Listing Service (our MLS) combines Patio Homes and Villas since there are no criteria defining the difference. These are still considered to be single-family homes, even though there might be two or more in one building.
- Our MLS was a non-square-footage MLS in the past, meaning it was not required to enter that information into a listing. Therefore, square footage information is incomplete and difficult to use for comparison.
- 2019: we expect prices to continue to rise due to lack of supply.
Styles of Maintenance-Free Homes
- Most of the lower-priced condominiums and townhomes were apartment conversions. Therefore, some units do not have their own laundry rooms and are quite old.
- The newer (10 years or less) townhomes have more features, but start at about $237,000.
- To buy a newer villa/patio home, you need to plan on spending over $300,000. Many of the basements are finished and have windows, but most of the time, the windows look out to a concrete window well.
- Only a handful of these communities are gated.
- So far in 2019, 165 condos have sold; median sales price was $137,000
- In 2018, 208 condos have sold, with a median sales price of $132,500
- In 2017, 256 units sold, with a median sales price of $120,000
- In 2016, 204 units sold, with a median sales price of $110,000
- So far in 2019, 458 townhomes sold; median sales price was $200,000--even
- In 2018, 609 townhomes have sold, with a median sales price of $199,000
- In 2017, 623 units sold, with a median sales price of $180,000
- In 2016, 626 units sold, with a median sales price of $169,000
- So far in 2019, 387 villas sold; median sales price was $380,000
- In 2018, 450 patio homes/villas have sold, with a median sales price of $375,055
- In 2017, 468 units sold, with a median sales price of $354,618
- In 2016, 396 units sold, with a median sales price of $343,187
Open a printer-friendly, PDF version of this report on maintenance-free homes in JoCo KS NEW!
©2016-2019 Deborah Staley Schopf, All Rights Reserved