Moving on from the breakup of a relationship is one of the hardest things you will ever do. Whether the breakup is from divorce, death, or splitting up, it can feel overwhelming. I’ve had to sell a house myself three times due to these circumstances, so I understand the emotions, the stress, and the logistics involved.
Even though we need time to grieve, I do think it is best to deal with it as quickly as possible, and not wallow in it. There are so many things you can do to get help with this and many helpful people to turn to for advice.
Even though there are psychologists in my family—I’m not one myself! But I am patient and empathetic. Below are some things I’ve learned from going through this myself several times and helping other people go through it numerous times. After all, many home sales are due to these life events.
- Realize that memories live in your heart, not in the house.
- Acknowledge the fact that you will be better off living in another home.
- Get legal advice whenever indicated—it is worth every penny.
- Many people do not realize that they are still “on the hook” for the mortgage payment in the event of a breakup. That’s just the way it works. If you are on the mortgage, you are still obligated for those payments, even if you are no longer living there or even if the house was awarded to the other person in court. (See “get legal advice” above.)
- Get counseling if you are really struggling. If you can get the emotions straightened out, the rest of it is relatively easy!
- If you are mired in a contentious breakup, know that people often use the home sale as a way to “mess with you” or “get even”.
- Don’t be the difficult one when it comes to getting the house sold. Why prolong your own misery? Trying to get back at someone is just not worth it. Set your sights on your next opportunity.
- If the other party is being difficult, don’t “bite.” If possible, get that person to focus on how much easier things will be when the sale is finished and you can all move on to the next adventure in life.
I'm here to help! Also, I don’t charge extra fees like a “fixed commission” or “administrative fee”. Learn more about selling a home.
©Deb Staley 2017